Some of us have no choice other than to keep our cats indoors but for many it is a choice. As a cat protector or owner we all want a safe, happy, healthy cat. Keeping a cat indoors is safer than keeping a cat outdoors but its comes at a cost of not being able to properly hunt, stalk, and scratch. You can allow your cat to do all these things in your home with the right tools and skills.
Reasons Cats Should be Kept Indoors
There are plenty of good reasons a cat should be kept indoors, including the following.
- Cats that live indoors can have a much longer life span than outdoor cats.
- Indoor cats are less likely to get worms and other parasites than outdoor cats.
- Indoor cats are less likely to find female or male cats to tango with.
- Cats die on roads. Your indoor cat will stay safe from roads.
- Cats do get lost if they wander too far. Indoor cats won’t
- Dogs can kill or injure cats. Your cat could wander into a dog’s garden or encounter a stray.
- Outdoor cats are much more exposed to contracting diseases than indoor cats
- Outdoors cats are more likely to find rat poisons and other dangerous substances than indoor cats
- Outdoor cats might find some plants or food that is poisonous to them and they might consume it indoor cats won’t.
- Theft is a possibility. Indoor cats are safer from thieves.
- Outdoor cats might wander into another cats territory and get in a fight.
- Outdoor cats are at risk from predators such as foxes and even owls.
- Cats that roam outdoors might encounter cat hating neighbors that could abuse or hurt your cat
- Not every neighbor wants a cat wandering in their garden or driveway keeping your cat indoors means it won’t annoy your neighbors
- Cats are predators and outdoor cats will hunt wildlife and will kill birds, rabbits and other creatures
- Outdoor cats may be injured or die from extreme weather such as snow storms and heat waves
- Cats can be found by animal control or a neighbor and sent to a shelter or they could be euthanized
- A common hazard for cats is being locked inside sheds and garages by accident.
You can save this to Pinterest.
Despite the Positives, There are Negatives to Keeping a Cat Indoors
There are many good reasons cats should be kept indoors but indoor cats come with negatives. You will need to play with your cat to simulate hunting. We have a post on the best cat toys for indoor cats, along with posts on food, litter and litter trays for indoor cats as odour in the home can be an issue. We believe an indoor cat can be a happy cat with the right care and stimulation.